This is the audio version of the blogpost you can find at AllThingsVocal.com.
For this episode, I interview Fela Davis…an audio engineer and entrepreneur based in New York City. She graduated from Full Sail University and now has over 15 years of audio engineering experience, including working for industry powerhouses Clair Global and House of Blues. You’ll hear the names of several legendary artists she’s worked with as we chat.
Fela specializes in wireless mics and in ear monitors, has prepped gear for network and cable TV shows including Good Morning America Summer Series, The Colbert Report and The Macy's Day Thanksgiving Parade. She and her partner Denis Orynbekov combined their expertise to create 23dB Productions, located in New York City. Besides in-studio work, they offer a mobile one-stop shop for live projects: They film videos, do multitrack recording, mix and master for concerts and live events.
When Fela's not creating content for her company she’s on international road tours… currently working as mixing-front-of-house engineer for 5-time Grammy award winning jazz artist Christian McBride, and does some shows with 5-time Grammy award nominee Ottmar Liebert.
This podcast is now playing at iTunes , Google Play, TuneIn Radio, . Subscribe and don't miss an episode... and please leave a review where you like to listen! YOUR REVIEWS ARE THE BEST WAY TO SUPPORT THIS PODCAST!
To be vocally prepared for your best stage performances, train with Judy in lessons or courses. To do your best studio vocals ever... check out 'Singing In The Studio', the ulimate training for getting magic in your studio vocal performance.
Subjects covered in this episode include:
- Taking a career placement test to uncover your best fit in the arts.
- Why singers and engineers do well to understand each other's issues.
- Specialties for sound engineer jobs such as front-of-house and monitor engineers.
- Mistakes Fela has seen performers make, and how to can avoid them.
- Practicing with in-ear monitors to get used to the sound.
- Current technology in wireless mics and the trust factor
- Fela's favorite microphones... shootouts... buying your own.
- Caution with digital editing; the importance of being prepared before the vocal session.
- Working with Christian McBride on the road.
- Paying dues and establishing reputation.
- The dangers of reverb in wedge monitors.
- What speakers can do to help audio engineers capture their voices best.
- Tips for singers who want to learn audio engineering.
Links mentioned in this podcast include: